Saturday, January 16, 2010

Keyboarding for the Christian School

Ah, typing; one of my favorite subjects... literally! I would absolutely love to get paid to type. If anyone knows how I might get started, please let me know! I am so thankful for the typing class that I was compelled to take in high school. I might never have been able to edit Hero's writing assignments if I hadn't (sorry, Babe, even you admit you're a terrible typist!).



All that is said because, I am thrilled that Keyboarding for the Christian School was made available for me to review. I was given two levels of the program. The first for kindergarten to fifth grade, and the second for sixth grade and up.



The elementary version covers

Touch Typing Technique

Alphabetic Keys

Numbers and Symbol Keys

Number Pad

Centering

Enumerated Lists

Timed Writings

Timing Scale

The upper level covers all of the above plus:
Tab Key

MLA Reports

APA Reports

Cover Page

Works Cited

Bibliography

Personal-Business Letters

Envelopes

Proofreader's Marks

Tables

I focused mainly on the elementary version for Butterbean (8). Each lesson begins with an encouraging Scripture verse. The letters are learned first, with each lesson building upon what was learned the day before. The lessons also contain graphics of the keyboard, so your student has a visual. The instructions are easy to understand, even for an elementary reader. The lessons are short, allowing him to use the program virtually independently. By lesson 18 your student is typing text straight from God's Word. How exciting to not only learn how to type, but to learn Bible verses as well!

The section about the number keypad was pretty helpful, as some of the math websites we're reviewing require use of the keypad. However, Butterbean wasn't quite ready for official typing lessons. I do plan to use this curriculum when I feel he is ready.

Here's what really surprised me. I left the screen open one day to the first lesson. Hero sat down and proceeded to complete the lesson! Hmm, I have been know to strew things even for him, but who knew a typing program would be of interest!

I think overall, Keyboarding for the Christian School is a great program. If you'd like to read more about it, you can check out my fellow Crew members' blogs here. And if you'd like to purchase the ebook curriculum, you can do so here for $22.

No comments:

Post a Comment


What I Write About