Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Growing Healthy Homes Review

Photobucket

Nutrition 101: Choose Life "written by a team of four mothers, this program is designed for positive, effective, long-term, healthy lifestyle changes."

The 448 page e-book that I received to review is a biblically based health and nutrition curriculum that is amazing! I began the program as a read-aloud to my 7 and 4 year olds and I quickly realized it was a bit above their heads. They did enjoy looking at the illustrations of the body systems, however, and I know we will be using this program as they grow a bit more.

But, all was not a lost cause, because the curriculum is perfect for me at this point in my life! As an allergic, migraine-prone, asthmatic mommy, and health-nut-wanna-be, this curriculum is everything I have been looking for and more. With 6 units, it is suggested to be completed in a year, covering one chapter a week. The units are:

Unit 1: The Brain and Nervous System

Unit 2: The Digestive System

Unit 3: The Respiratory, Olfactory, Auditory and Visual Systems

Unit 4: The Muscular and Skeletal Systems

Unit 5: The Cardiovascular and Immune Systems

Unit 6: The Endocrine System and Emotions

Each unit contains discussion questions, activities, recipes and additional resources.

But wait! That's not all. In addition to the units on anatomy and physiology, there are oodles of appendices with an extensive array of helpful charts with topics including Vitamins and Minerals, Nutritional Recommended Daily Allowances, How to Select Fresh Produce (with photos!), Sleep, Asthma and Nail Health. Betcha didn't know that your nails can serve as an "early warning signal for your health."

I took copious notes, and plan to head over to my local health food store to pick up some essential oils and herbs for my asthma and allergies as soon as I have a few extra bucks! I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

Now for the low-down. As much as I love this program, and will more than likely continue to use it over time, I found it a bit pricey. You can order the CD-ROM for $79.95, the book for $99.95 or the book/CD-ROM combo for $129.95. Simply go here.

If you're interested in checking out what my other Crewmates have to say about Nutrition 101:Choose Life, click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment


What I Write About