Monday, August 3, 2009

Web Design for Kids Review

Can you guess what I got in the mail a couple of weeks ago? Web Design For Kids (...and curious grown-ups!) DVD. I have really gotten into this whole blogging thing, and trying to create websites, but it gets a little tricky since I don't know html (hyper text markup language) code! Brian Richardson, the founder of Click Drag Solutions, and a middle school computer literacy teacher, was the instructor for my first html lesson. It's great to know that anyone with a Windows operating system (automatically containing Notepad and Paint), can create a simple web page in virtually no time at all.

I'll have to show my age a bit here, and say that my hubby and I actually found the children actors to be a bit on the cheesy side. But since it held my 4 year old's and 20 month old's attention, I didn't worry so much about the quality of acting. My 7 year old, who is very into computers, was not at all interested, and didn't even want to try the instructions given! I think it might have been fun for the recording to have been of an actual class of Mr. Richardson's! I found myself wishing that I owned a laptop, so that I could try out the code while watching the demonstration. My television and DVD player are located in the living room. My computer is in my kitchen, and it doesn't play DVDs! So instead, I took a lot of notes, and referred back to them when trying out the Ten Basic Lines of Code, Sandwiches and Colors, making subjects stand out, Stand Alone Tags, Designing Backgrounds, Fonts and Paragraphs and Pictures (also there's a bonus section at the end entitled File Cabinet Management).

Mr. Richardson gave great clear directions that were organized very well. He leads you through a sample web page step by step. He gives lots of reminders and reviews things you've learned thus far. I learned a lot. I'm not sure that my children were in the proper age category to get a real benefit from it, though. I wish the DVD came with a little booklet, giving written details. It would also be nice to include a listing of other commonly used tags.

I enjoyed visiting the website. Check it out here. If you're interested in learning the beginning basics of html code, or you have children who would like to learn, you can purchase the DVD Web Design for Kids (...and curious grown-ups!) for just $19.99 right now. Normally it sells for $40. Part of that money goes to several charities, which I thought was neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment


What I Write About